Welcome to the Nebraska Highways Page! Settle in, and we'll cruise the highways of the Cornhusker State.
|Interstate Highway System
The Interstate Highway system in Nebraska began in 1957 with construction of a portion of I-80 near Gretna. I-80, a major east-west route across the U.S., was completed in Nebraska in October of 1974. In addition, Nebraska is also served by I-76 for a few miles, by I-180 going into Lincoln, and the I-480 and I-680 freeways around Omaha. I-129 also enters Nebraska for a couple miles in South Sioux City.
The U.S. Highway network debuted in Nebraska in 1926, and many of these routes remain today. The east-west routes are numbered US-6, US-20, US-26, US-30, US-34, US-136, US-138 and historical routes US-38 and ALT US-30. The north-south routes are US-73, US-75, US-77, US-81, US-83, US-159, US-183, US-275, US-281, US-283, and historical US-383.
Sources of information used:
From my personal collection...
- Texaco Oil map of Kansas/Nebraska, 1934.
- Cram's Paved Road Map of the United States, circa 1936.
- Conoco Oil map of Nebraska, 1934 and 1940.
- Sinclair Oil map of Nebraska, 1947.
- Rand McNally atlases from 1954, 1961, 1964, 1974, 1975, 1980, and 1987-present.
- Hammond Atlas of the U.S., 1969.
- DX Oil maps of Nebraska from 1966 and 1967.
- Gulf Tourgide Map of North/South Dakota and Nebraska, 1966.
- Sunoco/DX Oil map of Nebraska, 1971-72.
- Standard Oil map of Nebraska, 1960 and 1973-74.
- Texaco Oil map of Nebraska from 1940 and 1970.
- Phillips 66 Oil maps of Nebraska from 1968.
- Official Nebraska State Highway Maps from 1966, 1977, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, and 2003.
- DeLorme Nebraska Atlas and Gazeteer from 1997 and 2000.
- Rand McNally maps of Omaha from 1979 and 1985.
- Nebraska Highway Reference Post Logs, dated 12/31/2001.
I had a lot of assistance from Dennis Smith of Lincoln, NE, via his personal collection and contacts at the Nebraska Department of Roads...
- 1922 Standard Oil (Rand McNally) map of Nebraska.
- Rand McNally atlases from 1940 and 1950.
- c.1955 Sinclair Oil (Rand McNally) road map of Nebraska.
- c.1955 Central U.S. Map by Phillips 66/Gousha.
- 1950's era Western U.S./ Mobil Miracle Fold Map.
- 1969 Kansas/Nebraska Road Map by Mobil/Rand McNally.
- Official Nebraska State Highway maps from 1926, 1980, 1982, and 1997.
- c.1970 Skelly Oil map of Omaha.
- Nebraska Highway Reference Post Logs, dated 12/31/1997.
- "A Story of Highway Development in Nebraska" (1997 rev.) by George Koster of the Nebraska Dept. of Roads.
This page is maintained by: Chris Geelhart.
Standard Disclaimer: Although several folks at the Nebraska Department of Roads know about this page, it is not officially endorsed by them.
Research on U.S. highway history has been aided by Robert Droz and his US Highway History website. While I made many of the sign graphics on my own, the Interstate and historical US shields, and the current state shields, were generated through David Kendrick's
"Shields Up!" page. Also, thanks to Steve Moreland, Matt Hopkin, and Matt Wolff, who have provided historical and current information on some of the highways in the state.